Reposted from blog.salvationarmyusa.org. How cool is this?!
A popular verse from the book of Hebrews reads, “Let us run with endurance the race God has set before us,” symbolic encouragement to live a daily life of faith.
But it seems representatives from The Salvation Army Metropolitan Division in Chicago are taking this exhortation quite literally as they plan to run over 26 miles in the 2013 Bank of America Chicago Marathon in support of The Salvation Army’s social services, and they hope you’ll join them!
Interested runners who want to reach personal running goals while raising money and awareness for all of the great programs and services of The Salvation Army can register for the race at http://salarmychicago.org/chicagomarathon. Registration begins at noon today, February 19.
By joining The Salvation Army’s team, you will also:
- Expand your network through organized group runs and social outings.
- Receive ongoing support and guidance to help reach your fundraising goals (each member of the team is asked to raise at least $1,000 to benefit The Salvation Army).
- Receive fundraising incentives, goals and race day swag!
- Raise much needed funds that will help feed, house, rehabilitate and counsel Chicago families and individuals in need through the many programs of The Salvation Army. To learn more about the services offered, please visit www.salarmychicago.org.
Here’s what you need to do before you strap on those running shoes:
- Step 1: Review the Marathon’s Event Rules and Guidelines.
- Step 2: Register with Bank of America on February 19 and add The Salvation Army as your Charity.
- Step 3: Begin setting up your Runners Profile and start pledging for The Salvation Army as your choice charity.
For the latest updates leading up to race day, find The Salvation Army Metropolitan Division on Facebook.
About Salvation Army Texas
The Salvation Army in Texas serves more than 919,500 people and families a year through its 84 local centers of operation. Daily it serves 9,612 hot meals and shelters 2,885 people. For more information please visit our website at www.salvationarmytexas.org or contact your local Salvation Army.
About The Salvation Army
The Salvation Army, an evangelical part of the universal Christian church established in 1865, has been supporting those in need in His name without discrimination for 130 years in the United States. Nearly 30 million Americans receive assistance from The Salvation Army each year through the broadest array of social services that range from providing food for the hungry, relief for disaster victims, assistance for the disabled, outreach to the elderly and ill, clothing and shelter to the homeless and opportunities for underprivileged children. 82 cents of every dollar spent is used to carry out those services in 5,000 communities nationwide. For more information, go to www.salvationarmyusa.org .