On This Day In History: May 13

In 1882, the former London Orphan Asylum was opened as The Salvation Army Clapton Congress Hall. After renovations, the massive hall could seat more than 4,500 people! The Salvation Army called it their “National Barracks” as the Army used its wings as training barracks for 300 male and female cadets with classrooms on the ground floor, workrooms below, and bedrooms above. The Clapton Congress Hall was used by The Salvation Army for 87 years until 1970 when a new citadel was built on Lower Clapton Road.

513-Salvation-Congress-Hall

About The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army, an evangelical part of the universal Christian church established in 1865, has been supporting those in need in His name without discrimination for 130 years in the United States. Nearly 30 million Americans receive assistance from The Salvation Army each year through the broadest array of social services that range from providing food for the hungry, relief for disaster victims, assistance for the disabled, outreach to the elderly and ill, clothing and shelter to the homeless and opportunities for underprivileged children. 81 cents of every dollar spent is used to carry out those services in 5,000 communities nationwide.